1. The Memorial Day Ceremony traditionally held on May 30th is canceled for 2020.
2. The NHSVC remains open to visitors during daylight hours, 7 days a week.
3. NHSVC staff will be on site Memorial Day weekend, May 23-25, from 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM daily. Staff will drive around the cemetery and be available to assist guests and answer questions.
Potted Plants for Memorial Day
• Potted plants are allowed on gravesites from May 20th through May 31st. Pots must be unbreakable (e.g. no glass, ceramic, etc.) and no more than 10” in diameter.
• No more than 2 potted plants or vases per gravesite. Excess plants or vases will be consolidated and/or moved.
• Removal of plants is at the discretion of cemetery staff.
Flags for Memorial Day
• Due to the restrictions on gathering crowds, the NHSVC will not host a public event to place and retrieve flags at the headstones.
• The cemetery staff will begin to place flags at headstones on Tuesday, May 19th. Flags will be placed in conjunction with mowing and string-trimming each section. We will place them by section starting on the south end of the cemetery (Section 11) working to the north (Section 45). They will be placed over a period of 2-3 days.
• Flags will be taken down in the same order (south to north) beginning on May 27th.
• During the coming weeks, the irrigation system at the NHSVC will run in various sections during daylight hours. We are doing this to test, repair and optimize our irrigation system. We will always shut down the system to allow visitation to a gravesite. If you need the system turned off and a staff member is not in the immediate vicinity, please call the cemetery office at 603-796-2026 and we will take care of it as quickly as possible.
Update on Committal Services
• Committal services are restricted to 10 guests plus, if applicable, clergy and funeral director.
• Guests who want to stand at the gravesite must wear masks and maintain social distance from the cemetery staff, military honors team, and clergy.
• Guests that choose not to wear a mask will be directed to stand at a safe distance from the gravesite.
• The Army and Marines are currently conducting military honors. We will post a notice as the other branches return to conducting military honors.
• Taps is always played at a veteran interment.
• Families may schedule military honors on a future date, if desired.
Breaking News from Concord, NH as well as Boscawen, Canterbury, Penacook, Salisbury, Warner and Webster, NH